I Might Be Buying A House Soon

I found a house I want to buy and I'm already planning where I want to put my furniture. We have been playing with the idea of moving for a while now. We have lived in our current apartment for 4 years now. We need more space (especially storage space) and at least one other bedroom. I really love this place, but I think it’s time for a change.

Drew and I were in the car and we were talking about houses and how much our parents paid for houses. My parents bought my childhood home (a two-story, 3br. 2ba. house on 2 acres of land) in like 1996 (?) for $80,000, and Drew’s parents bought a (one level, 3br. 2ba.) house for about the same amount.

Our state has the cheapest housing market (which doesn’t mean much when you live in the poorest state), and we were curious what your average house costs these days around where we live. Drew started googling things and ended up on a realty website looking at houses in our area. I can’t remember what number he said was average, but he started looking for properties just to see what you can get for cheaper prices.

Of course there were the houses that were way out of our price range (and by price range I mean that we *imagine* that one day we will have enough money to buy a house). There was a half a million (half a million dollar houses exist in the poorest state, who knew) dollar house that had 4 huge bedrooms, 5 even bigger bathrooms with walk-in wardrobes, a pool, and a whole separate guest house. Later on, I found myself scrolling through endless images of opulent room after room with over-the-top décor and being simultaneously overwhelmed and envious.

Drew found a 6 bedroom house for only $200,000 and immediately wondered what the catch was. The “house” was a duplex (two townhouses? attached houses? townhouse duplex.) with three bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms on each side and it was being sold together. We looked at the pictures and liked what we saw. We started fantasizing about owning a home and living on one side of the duplex and renting out the other. Drew worked out that we would basically profit from living there (instead of breaking even) by renting out the other side to students, or a family, or whoever.

We are still waiting to receive a decision on whether he is approved for disability. We aren’t sure on the timeline anymore, because his doctor was delayed in handing in some paperwork. We were supposed to receive the decision within thirty days of his hearing date, but the deadline was extended to allow for his doctor to send in the missing documents. A lot of things are riding on whether he gets it or not. And we have discussed buying a new car with some of the money because it costs too much to fix the one he has all the time. He’s talked about a lot of things he wants to put money towards. But as we don’t have it yet, it’s all just talk. We can’t say for certain how much money he will be getting and what we would end up doing with it. Besides paying for his medical expenses, obviously.

When we saw this duplex was available, we got excited. We dreamed about owning a house that was also a business. Then we realized it might not be unattainable. Drew said if he gets disability, we will pay the down payment and get a mortgage and we can move there. We would own property. I’ve never owned property before. I don’t even own my car. We could live in half of the duplex and if we ever wanted to move somewhere else, we could just rent it out. It’s the perfect investment.

I spent the entirety of yesterday on the realty website scrolling through the pictures of the house and trying to work out the exact layout (I still can’t figure out where exactly the half bath is supposed to be). That's how obsessed I am! I’ve already mentally placed all of our furniture in the various rooms and begun planning a garden. I'm excited about a house I don’t own and which might not even be there by the time we have enough money to buy it. I can’t help myself. I've fallen in love with it. I haven’t seen any other opportunities like this one available anywhere else in town, either, so it’s not like if we miss out on this one, we can just find another one. Sigh… If you have any spare good luck, send it my way because I really want this (!!! so much !!!).

TTFN,

Paige 💜

P.S. I didn’t even bother to check this for spelling mistakes, etc. Hopefully it’s all coherent and properly punctuated.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True Stream of Conciousness

A Ramble About Birthdays

Dream House, Scream House