Diary Entry #1

Monday, October 2, 2017

     Another day, another tragedy. At 5am I logged onto Twitter to the news about Vegas. These days, it seems like something horrible happens every day. Honestly, it probably does. The world is big and full of people and something is always happening to someone. There are bad things happening everywhere all the time, but I don't think that's anything new. I think the internet has made the world more accessible. Something happens across the world and within the hour, Twitter has a trending hashtag about it. With the ability to be alerted to tragedy as soon as it strikes, things seem to pile up on top of each other and become overwhelming. How are you supposed to recover from 'y' when 'x' just happened a week ago? There's a finite amount of time to distance yourself from one horrible thing before the next one happens.
   
     It used to be that you could only get such information from the nightly news or the next days paper and only then would people begin to discuss it on social media. Now it seems people rely less on the news media and take it upon themselves to do the reporting, because the internet has given everyone a voice. Not that having a voice is a bad thing. What I'm trying to say is: the world isn't any worse, it only seems that way because it's at our fingertips. If that's any sort of comfort...

     It feels wrong to keep going when so many have been lost in such a way. So many dead and injured only hours before and I stood in my kitchen making eggs for breakfast like I was none the wiser. I want very much to write with sincerity that nothing really matters because the world never stops turning, but doing so would be admitting to myself that that is true. Maybe there's no reason for anything. But, if the sun keeps rising every day, then so shall I.

TTFN,
Paige 💜

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

True Stream of Conciousness

A Ramble About Birthdays

Dream House, Scream House